This partnership marks a significant milestone in our city's continuous growth and progress, bringing new opportunities for both our community and Belk.
Key Takeaways from the Agreement:
- Belk Store Location: The Belk store location will play a pivotal role in our city's comprehensive development plan, as the store is ranked in the top 5 of their 16 regional store locations. This collaboration reflects our commitment to enhancing the retail landscape and shopping experience for our residents.
- Belk's Ownership: It is important to note that Belk owns its building and the property on which it is located within our city. This ownership provides a stable foundation for Belk’s continued presence in our community.
- Development Authority: While Belk's presence is celebrated, it's essential to clarify that Belk does NOT possess the authority to approve or deny uses, developments, or buildings on the former mall site, except for specifically prohibited uses outlined in the agreement. This ensures that our city maintains control over the development process in line with our community's values and interests.
- Town Center Operations and Usage: The City will adhere to the use restrictions contained in the attached map, prioritizing responsible development that aligns with the character of our city. The agreement outlines the operations and permissible uses within the Town Center. As the attached map demonstrates there are multiple uses allowed on some parcels to promote flexibility in the Town Center. Under this agreement, the Town Center development may include a wide range of desirable features, such as restaurants, bars, live music venues, hotel/hospitality establishments, clothing boutiques, home improvement stores, sporting goods stores, and commercial retail stores such as Target, Wal-Mart, Burlington, Ross, Marshall’s, and more. Conversely, it explicitly prohibits certain types of developments, including mobile home parks, junkyards, gambling facilities or operations, hazardous wastes, funeral homes, any sale or distribution of marijuana and related products, and any activities that are illegal in nature.
- City Commitment: The City is wholeheartedly committed to the development of public roads and parcels, as outlined in the attached plan. We are dedicated to fostering infrastructure that benefits everyone in our community.
- Roadway Easement: As part of the agreement, the City will acquire a roadway easement across the Belk parcel, ensuring smooth access for our residents and visitors.
- Awning Removal: In a move towards modernization, the City has agreed to remove the awning (which is on the City’s property) from the rear of the Belk building within two years of the agreement. Additionally, the concrete pad beneath the awning will be removed within five years or when adjacent parcels are developed, further enhancing the aesthetic appeal of the area.
- Building Refinishing: Belk will be required to refinish the exterior of their building, commencing within two years of the City performing its demolition responsibilities, ensuring a fresh and inviting look for our community.
Attached is the Redevelopment Agreement (PDF)
Attached is the Gautier Town Commons Master Plan (PDF)